When the coronavirus pandemic first flared up, doctors told people to disinfect surfaces to stop the spread of the coronavirus, but now scientists are changing direction and saying disinfecting is a waste of time.
When the so-called pandemic first began, stores across the nation quickly sold out of disinfecting sprays, wipes, gels, and related paper products. In some places some of these products are still hard to come by as people snap them up to “stay safe” from the virus.
But a year into this mostly overblown “crisis,” scientists are now saying that disinfecting surfaces doesn’t really do much to stop the transmission of the coronavirus and people can feel safe to stop doing it.
This isn’t coming from me, or some “right-wing” outlet. It’s coming from left-wing NPR:
take our poll - story continues below
If a person infected with the coronavirus sneezes, coughs or talks loudly, droplets containing particles of the virus can travel through the air and eventually land on nearby surfaces. But the risk of getting infected from touching a surface contaminated by the virus is low, says Emanuel Goldman, a microbiologist at Rutgers University.
“In hospitals, surfaces have been tested near COVID-19 patients, and no infectious virus can be identified,” Goldman says.
What’s found is viral RNA, which is like “the corpse of the virus,” he says. That’s what’s left over after the virus dies.
“They don’t find infectious virus, and that’s because the virus is very fragile in the environment — it decays very quickly,” Goldman says.
Scientists are now saying it is “overkill” to constantly try to disinfect the surfaces with which people come in contact.
In fact, these scientists are now saying that overuse of bleaches and cleaning solutions is bad for our health!
Spraying disinfectant is not only unproductive, but it’s potentially dangerous, according to Delphine Farmer, an atmospheric chemist at Colorado State University.
Heavy use of disinfectants, like bleach and hydrogen peroxide, can “produce toxic molecules that then we breathe,” she warns.
And breathing in toxic particles can affect our health, Farmer says. The molecules can react directly with the cells in lung tissue and cause oxidative stress. And certain molecules are known to be toxic. “It’s like breathing in poison,” she says.
There you go, folks. Stop using these silly disinfecting products. You are just wasting your money and time.
Follow Warner Todd Huston on Facebook at: facebook.com/Warner.Todd.Huston.