The area around Putnum County, Georgia, about 60 miles southeast of Atlanta, is on high alert as two prisoners, being transported on a bus with 31 other prisoners, managed to kill two of their guards and escape into the surrounding area. Officials say that both men are armed and dangerous and no one should try approaching or trying to stop them. If seen, please call 9-1-1 immediately and report where they are.
Two correctional officers were shot and killed by two inmates who escaped in Putnam County, authorities said.
We have multiple crews at the scene talking with authorities, stay with Channel 2 Action News for live coverage.
Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills confirmed to Channel 2 Action News that the officers died Tuesday morning.
- 2 officers killed on prisoner transport bus
- Inmates accused of killing them are armed and on the run
- They escaped in a green Honda Civic with Georgia tag RBJ6601
- “They’re armed. They’re dangerous. Call 911, don’t approach them,” Sills said
- Bus was carrying 33 prisoners going to various locations from the Hancock State Prison …
The inmates quickly captured a green Honda Civic and made their escape down the road. They are identified as Ricky Dubose, 24 and Donnie Russell Rowe, 43. As they escaped, they stole the guards’ .40 caliber Glock handguns. Authorities fear the escapees will use lethal force with innocent people, while trying to stay free and put distance between them and authorities.