SHOCK! HORROR! It just can’t be true! A law-abiding citizen with a concealed carry permit, legally carrying a firearm in a bar, used his concealed weapon to stop an ‘active shooter’ before the shooter was able to shoot more people.
The incident took place at the Zona Caliente Sports Bar in Arlington, Texas, a large suburb between Dallas and Fort Worth. James Jones, 48, walked into the sports bar and began yelling and ranting, most of which was incoherent. Cesar Perez, the 37-year-old manager, approached Jones and tried to calm him down. As he continued to rant and rave, Jones pulled out a gun and shot Perez. Jones acted like he was going to shoot more people, so a customer in the bar pulled out his concealed carry weapon and dropped Jones where he stood.
Arlington Police Lt. Christopher Cook said the customer had a legal concealed carry permit and there will be no charges filed against him. A later news report stated that another fully loaded handgun and two knives were found in Jones’ possession, indicting he had intended to kill or attack more than one person. Referring to the armed customer, Cook stated:
“He made the decision to engage the shooter, fearing there would be other loss of life.”
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Perez and Jones were pronounced dead at the scene.
In many states, bars are considered to be gun free zones, but that was changed in Texas, thankfully for the sake of the other people in the sports bar. Liberals would have you believe that gun free zones protect people when in fact they place most people in more danger.
Consider just how safe gun free zones are. Think of Columbine High School (13 dead, 20+wounded), Sandy Hook Elementary School (26 dead, 2 wounded) , Aurora Theater (12 dead, 58 wounded), Pulse Nightclub (49 dead, 60 wounded), Cameo Nightclub (2 dead, 15 wounded).
According to the Crime Prevention Research Center statistics show that 98.4% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones. Only 1.6% of mass shootings occur in locations were people are allowed to armed.
I’ve spoken with gun control fanatics and have more than one tell me that guns cause the violence. Several have told me that guns do not prevent violence, especially mass shootings from happening. Even if you quote the statistics from the Crime Prevention Research Center, they still say that proves nothing. Some have challenged me to name just one time when an armed law-abiding citizen actually stopped a mass shooting save lives. To this, I point them to the following list I quickly put together about a year and half ago. Note at the bottom of the list is the Zona Caliente Sports Bar shooting mentioned above:
- On Oct. 1, 1997, Luke Woodham went to his high school after killing his mom and began shooting. Assistant Principal Joel Myrick grabbed his .45 caliber handgun from his truck, confronted Woodham and stopped his murder spree before police arrived.
- On April 24, 1998, Parker Middle School was holding a dance at a local banquet hall when a 14-year-old student opened fire with .25 caliber handgun. James Strand, owner of the hall used his shotgun that he kept there to stop the shooting and hold the student until police arrived.
- On Jan. 16, 2002, a former student started shooting at Appalachian School of Law, killing the dean, a professor and another student before being stopped by two law students who were also in law enforcement. They retrieved their weapons from their cars, apprehended the shooter and held him until police arrived.
- On Dec 9, 2007, a man opened fire with a Bushmaster AR-15 on parishioners at New Life Church in Colorado Springs. Earlier that day, the same man killed two and wounded two at the Young With a Mission training center in Arvada. Jeanne Assam, a former Minneapolis Police Officer had a concealed carry license and her gun was with her during the service at New Life Church. She pulled her weapon and shot the shooter, wounding him. He eventually shot himself, but her actions were credited with saving many lives before police arrived.
- On May 27, 2010, Donald J. Moore used his personal firearm to stop a mass shooting at an AT&T store in New York Mills, NY. The shooter had a list of employees he was going to kill, but only managed to wound one employee before Moore shot and killed him, all before the police arrived.
- On Aug. 30, 2010, Sullivan Central High School Resource Officer Carolyn Gudger drew her gun on a 62-year-old man with gun. Using her body to shield a student, she held the shooter in a standoff for 10 minutes until police arrived.
- On March 25, 2012, Jessie Gates was observed getting a shotgun from his truck and heading to the door of Boiling Springs’ South Side Freewill Baptist Church in South Carolina. Aaron Guyton, grandson of the pastor, saw him and locked the door, but Gates kicked it in. Guyton then drew his conceal carry weapon and held Gates at gunpoint while two parishioners subdued him and the pastor disarmed him, all before police arrived.
- On Dec. 11, 2012, Nick Meli used his concealed carry weapon to stop a shooter at the Clackamas Town Center Mall near Portland, Oregon. The shooter killed two and wounded one before Meli confronted him. The shooter stopped shooting, withdrew to a service elevator and then shot himself, before police arrived.
- On April 30, 2014, a construction foreman in Austin, Texas used his legally licensed conceal carry weapon to stop a former employee who showed up and started shooting. The foreman wounded the shooter and saved lives after being wounded himself, before police arrived.
- On May 16, 2014, an armed gunman entered the emergency room at Cache Valley Hospital in Logan, Utah. He demanded to see a doctor and then cocked one of his two handguns and said someone was going to die. A hospital security guard did his best to calm and distract the gunman. Two correction officers happened to be present and were able to confront the gunman from a different direction. The gunman was shot three times and no one else at the hospital was injured. All before police arrived.
- On July 25, 2014, a patient entered the psychiatric clinic at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, PA. He shot his case worker before pistol whipping his doctor Lee Silverman. As the man left to go shoot more people, Dr. Silverman pulled out his conceal carry handgun and shot the man three times. He was hailed by local police for saving other lives before police had a chance to arrive.
- May 3, 2017, a deranged man entered the Zona Caliente Sports Bar in Arlington, Texas and shot the manager. He was armed with 2 handguns and 2 knives. A customer with a legal concealed carry permit, use his weapon to stop the ‘active shooter’ before anyone else was injured.
Yes, legally armed law-abiding citizens stop mass shootings and save lives. This is something that liberals don’t want anyone to know about, so please pass this list around and share it with as many people as you can. The public needs to know the truth.